Disclaimer

All ideas and thoughts expressed in this blog belong to the authors of this blog. Certain data and summaries may be taken from book covers and author's websites, but these will be given the appropriate acknowledgment. Respect of the blog authors' views is requested. Thank you.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella




Well, this is long overdue, but I believe in being late rather than never doing anything about it. Although my friends have not yet tackled the assigned book, I would like to go on ahead and post my review. Hopefully, they will still read the book when they have the time.



If you haven't read the book yet, I advice you to skip reading so as not to spoil your fun.





Plot Summary (taken from website):

When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she’s in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident — in a Mercedes no less — Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she’s about to find out just how much things have changed, Somehow Lexi went from a twenty-five-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a personal assistant, a carb-free diet, and a set of glamorous new friends. And who is this gorgeous husband—who also happens to be a multimillionaire? With her mind still stuck three years in reverse, Lexi greets this brave new world determined to be the person she…well, seems to be. That is, until an adorably disheveled architect drops the biggest bombshell of all. Suddenly Lexi is scrambling to catch her balance. Her new life, it turns out, comes complete with secrets, schemes, and intrigue. How on earth did all this happen? Will she ever remember? And what will happen when she does?


My view(s):

I don't know about the rest of the girls, but I loved this book. The others who I have shared this good find also found it a really good read. In fact, I finished it in a couple of hours after assigning the book. And even today, I feel so giddy when I think about what transpired in the book.

Lexi, in all intents and purposes is funny. Although she comes face to face with a whole lot of embarrassing situations, she never fails to find a somewhat smoother way out of her predicament. I could not blame her. If I were in her shoes, not knowing what went on for the past three years, and more or less being thrust in a world that just does not look like the one you had, well, I think I would enroll myself in a psychiatric facility of sorts.

Eric, her husband, is... robotic. LOL. It does not hurt to think that he is rich and utterly handsome, but to give you a handbook on how to go about your marriage - and include a chapter on sex(!) - is scary. Lexi and Eric's relationship becomes somewhat strained since obviously they should be the ultimate power couple - but maybe not. On, and the Mont Blanc! ROFL. Seriously, you have to read about this one.

And the architect? He's adorable. But of course, he knows something about Lexi that Lexi does not remember. Wouldn't you panic if some guy you have no idea who knows something that could perhaps destroy you but you have no idea what? I know I would.

And then there are those heartbreaking moments... Despite the good laughs and good time I had as I read the book, I have to admit that my heart got broken. I think that was the first time I could seriously visualize and feel my heart break in two halves. Odd, yes, but it could just be my reaction.

Now, I've read a lot of Sophie Kinsella books. I actually started with Confessions of a Shopaholic, and I liked it. But for me, this book tops the Sophie Kinsella cake. :D

Even now, I really do feel giddy about the whole story. LOL.

I give it five stars. How about you?


10 comments:

Zeee October 14, 2008 at 9:47 AM  

Good grief! Nice teaser! I should....no I shouldn't!!! But I WILL tonight! hehehehe :)

Baaaaaaaaaaaaad Lurchie....

Sarah Pekkanen October 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM  

I loved this book too...and the others by Sophie K!

If you have a moment and wouldn't mind checking out my website, I'd love to get your feedback. It's www.sarahpekkanen.com I'm a brand-new author who just signed a publishing contract with the same house as Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner, so I'm hoping to get early thoughts from readers.

If you like my site and want to sign up for my private monthly email list, I can send you the first chapter when it's through the editing process.

Best,

Sarah
www.sarahpekkanen.com

Lurchie October 16, 2008 at 12:26 AM  

@z: you should read it. :P


@Sarah: Hi! thanks for dropping by.. I found your website rather nice. :) We would like an opportunity to check out your book. :)

I'm signing up our group for your email list. ;)

Zeee October 16, 2008 at 12:38 AM  

@Sarah: Hey! Thanks for dropping by our blog and I saw your website and the book looks good.

We already signed up to your mailing list and we are also excited to read the first chapter of your upcoming novel :)

Zeee October 16, 2008 at 8:51 PM  

yeah I read the book and got teary eyed in a few parts but I swear I wanted to throttle Lexi's mom, her sister, her (new) best friend, Eric and sometimes Lexi herself.

Good grief! I found some things related to the medical field that I found quite dubious.

There were a few funny bits that put Lexi in the corner but I disagree about handling it smoothly. There were times where she really embarrassed herself big time.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't like it but it's a good enough read for me. I actually found Lexi and Jon's "romance" lacking in a way where there was simply no "spark" for me to really believe that they were in love before the accident.

Oh yeah and I also wanted to THROTTLE everyone who didn't quite understand what AMNESIA is!

It is a lighthearted read and even if it's not my genre, I still enjoyed it, even the parts where I cringed at the "mistakes" I thought I saw.

I give it four stars

Lurchie October 17, 2008 at 2:47 AM  

oh come on!

don't tell me you didn't like the Mont Blanc? LOL

But seriously, I liked the sunflower part. teehee didn't you? I could easily believe that Lexi and Jon were in love especially in the way Lexi opened up her true self to Jon the way she had been keeping it hidden from Eric.

Gawd the "Manual" was sooooo.. I don't know. Crazy!

Perhaps I found it more relatable that's why I like it so much. So much so that I plan to buy the book itself! Hahaha..yeahp, I do. But seriously, when some sh*tty things happen, sometimes you just want to shut people out or your life so you can take full control. :)

:P I still maintain my five stars! Hahaha

.. I'm glad you liked it though. *muah!*

Zeee October 17, 2008 at 3:36 PM  

The Mont Blanc was quite....interesting so to speak but a little weird.

I did notice than Eric and Lexi's relationship was strained right from the start but still Jon didn't do enough for Lexi. Their relationship was dubious at best.

The "Manual" was crazy and the moment I read about it, I cringed!

I still retain my four stars :)

TeacherJulie November 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

Ack! I thought I wrote a comment here but I can't find it.

I have only read a a few chic lit books but I feel these are fun to read because its just like reading a friend's diary. Or is it?

T.Julie

Zeee November 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Thanks for the comment Miss Julie...I didn't receive any notice about your comment though...I don't know what went wrong.

This was the first chic lit book that I ever read and it wasn't really what I expected.

It does sound like you're reading a friends diary but I guess it depends on the author. We'd better wait for Lurch's take on that one, she has been into chic lit longer than me. :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP